Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

by Julie on May 5, 2010

There are times during a busy day, but most often in the late evening when everyone is sound asleep and I’m puttering around the house, that I just pause and say “thank you.”  And not just one “thank you,” mind you.  It’s a habit for me to say it three times, in rapid succession: thankyouthankyouthankyou.  Perhaps a little OCD but it’s something I started doing when my first child was born and I would hover over her crib at night to make sure she was breathing.  It was a nightly, almost hourly vigil for this new mother.  There would be times when I would jump awake and realize that my daughter had not cried in several hours.  I would race to her nursery and whisk her out of her crib only to hear her startled cries.  Thankyouthankyouthankyou.  It was this way, almost eighteen years later, when I realized I slept through her text message asking for me to pick her up from a sleepover, that she was tired and ready to come home.  It was 3:30 am when I awoke and viewed her message.  I raced through the hallway calling her cell phone, ready to apologize that I slept through her text and that I was on my way.  When I stumbled in her room, somewhere between being half-asleep and completely panicked,  I found her sleeping peacefully.  Thankyouthankyouthankyou.  My husband had picked her up when she couldn’t get through to me. Deep sigh.

To be honest, I’m not sure whom I’m talking to when I utter my blessing but it just feels right and it just feels necessary.  And it always come out quite spontaneously.  I don’t prepare it, I don’t schedule it, I just say it.  And I mean it.  More often than not, I find that I repeat my overwhelming gratitude when all three of my children are upstairs and sleeping soundly.  They are healthy.  They are safe. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.  No one called me today to tell me that one of my children was seriously ill.  I also didn’t learn that any of them was involved in a terrible accident. I’m grateful they walked home safely from school, that I have food to feed them and we have a strong roof over our heads. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

This past year hasn’t been easy for way too many people.  We all know stories of those hit hard by the recession, ourselves included.  But it is always a good day when you are surrounded by those that are most important to you and they are happy and they are thriving.  Thankyouthankyouthankyou.  Nothing that I have been handed in the past twelve months even comes close to the despair and anguish of those parents who have faced devastating news regarding their children.  For me, those are the true heroes of life.  Those that not only handle the worst possible of news, but that they continue to function, find answers and go forth.

I describe my blog as as a “blog with a sense of humor.”  I like to laugh and find the humor in parenthood.  But today, I just want to feel grateful.  I want to acknowledge that I feel lucky.  For today, I want to embrace my good fortune that all is well underneath my roof.  Nothing, and I mean nothing, means anything unless your children surround you healthy and with joy.  Today, I am thankful.  If you have that, you have everything.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

{ 24 comments… read them below or add one }

Kasey May 5, 2010 at 2:47 am

It's so easy to forget all the things we have to be grateful for. Sometimes all it takes is a little step back to remind us. I was laughing reading about how you used to check your daughter, I do it all the time. She's only a year and it's not every night but now and again I'll think that she's been sleeping too soundly so I just go check. It's a mom thing!

Following now from MBC!

Kathy May 5, 2010 at 3:56 am

Beautifully said! thankyouthankyouthankyou!

Angelia Sims May 5, 2010 at 4:07 am

Julie, I have to agree whole-heartedly. Giving great thanks for reading such a grateful post and for my own miracle sleeping soundly in bed. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.
:-)

Joanne May 5, 2010 at 4:14 am

We all need to remember to say thank you. It's something that we forget way too often. Thank you for the reminder!

Anonymous May 5, 2010 at 5:14 am

Thank YOU Julie, for this!

Debbie May 5, 2010 at 5:20 am

Julie…. This is so true. We ALL tend to focus on the negativity in our lives, and easily forget all the "Thank Yous" that are due. Keep up the great writing.

Anonymous May 5, 2010 at 6:01 am

Julie, I have been enjoying your writing so much, but this one struck closer than some of the other posts. You've managed to artfully describe that almost indescribable spot that every parent feels, to some degree, from time to time. Thank you.

Jeremy Olsan

Anonymous May 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Julie – Thank YOU! Important to be reminded that we've been blessed. Refreshing in both sentiment and delivery. Best to your family. Cheers, Brandon Gaut

Christina May 5, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Love this post. It is how I feel too, every night- even when I'm still being awoken in the middle of the night by a one-year-old, and then his two-year-old brother 20 minutes later. At least they're alive, and they're mine!
I'm following you now from MBC!
christina

Christina May 5, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Hey, I like your blog so much, I gave you an award! Check it out on my blog:

Anonymous May 5, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I think you are gifted………I mean really gifted………I thank God every night for my children………..Keep writing…….someday, you will be writing a book……………
Ruthie

Meagan Frank May 6, 2010 at 1:58 am

Amen! Well done. This piece gets to the core of what it is to parent. Your writing is what does that…thanks for sharing your gift!

wacki04 May 6, 2010 at 2:27 am

Hi there! I'm your newest follower from MBC! Would love for you to return the favor!

Tracy May 6, 2010 at 10:27 am

That is really great! So many don't understand what is really important :O)
Following you from MBC,
Tracy

Jody Worsham May 7, 2010 at 2:09 am

Some of my adopted children came with baggage too heavy for them to handle. When times got stressful (and that was a lot)I'd think, as bad as it is right now, there's a Mother with a child at M.D. Anderson or St. Jude's that would trade places with us in a heartbeat…and I was grateful my children were healthy and I had the strength to help carry their baggage. Thankyouthankyouthankyou indeed.

parenting ad absurdum May 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm

What an absolutely lovely post. I can relate, I do something similar – often before I go to sleep I utter up a thank you to the universe for my children's help and happiness… though I'm not entirely sure who I'm thanking. Just a lovely blog – thank you :) . (Oh, I'm following you now, but it will come up as "Jack and Alex Manning" because it's connected to an old login… but it's me :) .

Peryl @ parenting ad absurdum (MBC)

kayellen May 8, 2010 at 5:35 am

I can't agree with you more Julie~~
this has really been a difficult year for me with my oldest away at school..not knowing if he is OK? every day…but I ask the Lord to protect him and watch over him ~~~and that does give me comfort..

Anxious to put my arms around him and welcome him home in two weeks! I know My husband and daughter feel the same way~~we all need to say thankyou thankyou thankyou:)))
xoxo
Kay Ellen

Day 2 Day Living May 8, 2010 at 6:37 am

I to find myself saying thankyou, thankyou, thankyou! I'm always happy to find my kids safe, happy and on their way to being adults. I know every day that I hear from them when they have left home, I will be so thankful!

furygirl3132 May 8, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Hello! I am a new follower from Simply Follow at the Mom Bloggers Club. Hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!

Eloise
Mommy2TwoGirls

Show Me Mama May 8, 2010 at 8:56 pm

great blog. I am following you from MBC. You can visit me at http://showmemama.blogspot.com

Anonymous May 10, 2010 at 1:07 am

I think you are one of the best writers and please keep your great humor and advice coming. It makes my days easier………
Lola

Anonymous May 30, 2010 at 4:21 am

Waiting for more!!

Anonymous June 7, 2010 at 12:52 am

You are so talented……..do you write any mag. articles? You have my kind of sense of humor
Peggy

Paula July 20, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you for making me feel less mad about my thank you, thank you,thank you-ing around my house. It's funny how motherhood changes your vocabulary – I almost say 'thank you' as much as i say 'no'.
Almost…