Dinner in two minutes!

by Julie on March 4, 2011

It doesn’t take much to make me happy, so give me a good cookbook, or even better, a great food blog, and I’m mesmerized. This is ironic because cooking is one big pain in the neck for me.  I’m going to be honest;  I have raised a bunch of picky eaters.  They take after their father.  One daughter hates cheese but apparently macaroni and cheese is okay.  The other gags at anything green while my son cannot have anything on his plate touching. One likes spaghetti with meat sauce, the other likes theirs topped with butter only and my husband would rather order a pizza.  It can be a carnival here at dinner which is why I imposed the always good-rule:  If you can’t say something nice, then do not talk at all.  Some nights we have very quiet dinners and it’s not because everyone is busy chewing.
Which brings me back to my fondness for food blogs.  I particularly love the ones that combine beautiful food with gorgeous photography.  Ree Drummond, better known as The Pioneer Woman (thepioneerwoman.com) is one of my favorites.  When she writes a recipe, it’s not only clear and concise, but she gives step-by-step pictorial guides for dummies like me.  For example, and without her permission, I’m repeating this Spinach and Mushroom Quesadilla recipe exactly as she writes it on her website.  But this is NOT the dinner I have promised in under two minutes.  At the end of this blog, I will also give a detailed recipe that you can make in less than two minutes!  You won’t be disappointed.  But if you want something that is tasty and takes a bit more time then here you go.
Spinach and Mushroom Quesadilla
Begin by slicing a bunch of mushrooms.

Melt a couple of tablespoons of butter in a large skillet…
Then throw in the sliced mushrooms.
Sprinkle in a little salt and pepper.
Stir them around for a minute or two,
then pour in some sherry or wine.
Cook the mushrooms over medium-high heat for several minutes, until the liquid is totally gone. At the end, you’ll want to get as much color on them as possible.

Remove the mushrooms to a plate.
Next, return the skillet to the stovetop and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add one more tablespoon of butter and a little splash of sherry (or wine)…
Then throw in a whole bag of baby spinach. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then stir it around for no more than two minutes.
And remove it from the pan just as soon as it’s wilted.
Cut the wax from the Fontina…
Then grate up a nice pile.
Then open the package of goat cheese and have it ready.
To assemble the quesadillas, smear a little butter on one side of a flour tortilla. Flip it over, then start with a layer of Fontina…
Arrange spinach over the cheese…
Then fill in the gaps with sauteed mushrooms.
Dot goat cheese all over the top…
Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium heat. You want it hot enough to turn the tortillas golden brown and melt the cheese, but not so hot that it burns them.
Melt some butter in the pan…
Smear the top of the tortilla with butter.
Then grill/cook the quesadilla on both sides, until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden brown.
Place the quesadillas on a cutting board and slice them into wedges with a pizza cutter.
One word: Gosh.
**above photos, captions and recipe from Thepioneerwoman.com

Now how easy can this recipe be!  Of course, if I were making it for my family, I would have to do the following:

1. Take out the “green stuff” for my oldest daughter
  2. Take out the mushrooms and all cheeses for my youngest daughter
  3. Take out everything but put in cheddar cheese for my son
  4. Order a pizza for my husband

Therefore, as promised, here is a recipe that is perfect for all picky eaters in my family.  I have detailed the recipe in three easy steps.  I hope your family enjoys this as much as mine.

Begin by gathering all of your ingredients:
Pour the desired amount of cereal (in this case Fruit Loops)
in a bowl
Gently pour milk into the bowl.
Enjoy!

above recipe for Fruit Loops, taken from my
personal recipe collection

{ 25 comments… read them below or add one }

Debra March 4, 2011 at 2:30 am

Hi,

I'm following from MBC. That looks delicious. I'm hungry again & it's time for bed. Oh, well. Thanks for sharing.

Kathy March 4, 2011 at 2:36 am

I love this post! I have a pack of picky eaters too! My oldest hasn't eaten anything green since he ate baby food and my youngest won't eat anything if it doesn't look perfect, no cheese can be hanging off the pizza, the bread has to be cut perfectly, it's a real Mardi Gras at dinnertime! Thank you for the laugh!

Kathy

OneBlonde March 4, 2011 at 3:00 am

LMAO sooo true.. I really shouldn't have looked at this now thou, cuz now i'm starving for some cheesy mushroom goodness, but i just couldn't help myself especially w/that 2 min part LOL

Anonymous March 4, 2011 at 4:12 am

Glenn will be right over Julie! The Fruit Loop King!

Nancy Teixeira
Riverside

Sakura March 4, 2011 at 5:26 am

LOL! Often times my husband will have a bowl of cereal after my not so successful meals. I'm a new follower from MBC–feel free to check out my blog.

Stacey March 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm

OOOH that quesadilla looks so yummy! Following you from mbc. http://supermamawannabe.blogspot.com

Kay Ellen March 4, 2011 at 2:20 pm

oh yummy!

Yes my house too..everyone has an opinion or suggestion..very picky~~~
I would love if one of them would take over so I could retire as a cook!

:) )

hey I heard you have a tap dancer? lol

Kim March 4, 2011 at 3:46 pm

omg…this looks divine!! I found you on the Mom Bloggers and I"m a new follower. I hope you'll check out my new blog and maybe even my less personal but green one too.

Have a great weekend!!

Anonymous March 4, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I eat cereal to lose weight..and as the Dr sugggested, to lower cholesterol………unfortunately, prior to that disciplined move..I have eaten 4 choclate chip cookies, surrounded by ice cream….Love your blog.
A new follower….Mary M.

Francesca March 4, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Love the ending! Too funny. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with different tastes yet. My husband eats whatever I make and my baby just turned six months old.

Following you from MBC. babygiveaways.blogspot.com

Anonymous March 4, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Another great blog from Julie! Sooo cute! Laurie

Anonymous March 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm

spent the last few minutes reading "From the Mudroom…" Thank you – I hope you never stop writing!!! :)

Gail…..

Samantha March 6, 2011 at 1:08 am

This post is hilarious and I am laughing while I write this, Julie, because IT IS SO TRUE!! The part about your son not wanting anything touching pushed me over the edge to laugh out loud as I have lived this reality before with my kids. Ditto for the one family loving meat sauce and the one child who refuses to eat it. Makes you want to throw your hands up in the air and say "enough!!" My favourite retort these days is: "This is not a restaurant."

Great blog, love the recipe for quesidillas and will be trying it soon, and look forward to reading more :)

Your newest follower,
Samantha

Anonymous March 6, 2011 at 3:40 am

Love this one too Julie! Cereal night is common at our house also!! Hahaha

Ruth

Anonymous March 6, 2011 at 5:04 am

A great way to have a laugh at the end of the day. I am a new follower! My friends are also following you.
Sara J.

***Holly*** March 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Yum! I love all your photos! And the menu chalkboard – I want one of those! :)

Liz March 6, 2011 at 5:45 pm

The spinach and mushroom looks soooo good! And so do the Fruit Loops!
I am your newest follower from MB Club.
When you get a chance id love for you to check out my blog.

Julie Gatherum-McGuire March 6, 2011 at 5:55 pm

All photos, including the quesadilla recipe are from Thepioneerwoman.com website. The Fruit Loop recipe is from my own personal collection!

Country Girl March 6, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I've been dying for this ever since I saw her post it last week.

Jenny March 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Oh this is funny! I'm a new follower from MBC, stop by and return the favor.

Mary March 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Too funny! Love the picture step by step instructions! They're brilliant!I'll definitely have to checkout the original blog where you got the recipe.

SoMo Mom March 8, 2011 at 12:23 am

Ahhh, breakfast for dinner. My personal favorite when my baby's daddy is out town (my husband… I just like to say baby's daddy so people think I'm on Springer.) The quesedilla recipe looks awesome!

Julie Gatherum-McGuire March 8, 2011 at 3:02 am

SoMo Mom…you crack me up! Thanks to everyone for commenting!

Anonymous March 27, 2011 at 6:17 pm

We are thinking about moving to West Linn from Dallas, TX in about a year so I've been checking out your local papers. I came across your blog this morning and haven't stopped laughing! Our lives are so similar despite the fact we live so far apart! I look forward to reading more! Thanks for the smiles:0)

Robyn Sowers October 5, 2011 at 6:18 am

LOL!!!!! That is a good one and oh so true!!!!!!