Hello 2012. Nice to Meet You.

by Julie on January 3, 2012

Editor’s Note:  I forgot to put “organization” on my resolution list this year.  This was to be posted last week. The story of my life.

Am I the only one ready to bid a fond farewell to 2011?  This has been a strange year and I’m ready to stick a fork in it and call her done. I’m saying this on behalf of all those I know who lost a loved one, suffered from poor health, gained more weight when they were trying to lose, became an unemployment statistic or maybe watched a child struggle. I know of too many people, whether personally or those that I read about from the headlines, that need some closure and a fresh start.

In many ways, I prefer the New Year to any other holiday. It’s a time where we can truly begin anew. Where our hopes are positive and our dreams don’t seem so out of reach. As we grow older the years become more precious. We watch our parents’ age, our children head towards paths where our guidance is not particularly welcomed and sweet time just plain refuses to slow down.

But I am certain of one thing this year:  I am going to be greedier.  Greedy?  Boy, that’s a hard word to type when you are a mother.  But I am putting the focus back on myself while creating challenges where my comfort zone is broadened and my curiosity  is spiked.  I have decided that cleaning bathrooms, while necessary, is just plain boring.  Volunteering for a classroom project?  Been there done that hundreds of times.  Grocery shopping? Yes, we need to eat but I no longer care to get excited when Tide comes out with a new scent.  This is the year where I will learn to say “no” more often.

But I will also learn to say “yes.”

Yes to new adventures. Yes to more opportunities that will make me laugh out loud. Yes to finishing a few good books. Yes to starting that Photoshop class.  I will say “yes” to finding more opportunities to sit and write while understanding the importance to step away from the computer and have lunch with my child.

It’s about finding balance.  There is a quote from a Jessye Norman that I have printed and taped to my computer:  ”Problems arise in that one has to find a balance between what people need from you and what you need for yourself.”  Finding that balance will not be easy because like most mothers, our nature is to put our family in the lifeboat first while we tread water.  Well, this year, I’m telling everyone to scoot over and hand me a blanket.

{ 7 comments… read them below or add one }

Melanie Sofia January 7, 2012 at 4:40 am

I look forward to your blogs…they always hit the right spot! Keep writing so I can put yours on my refrigerator!
Melanie Sofia

Laurie Sinclair January 7, 2012 at 6:20 am

I am going to share this with my oldest sister who is an empty-nester for the first time this year. She has put her career on hold for the last 28 years while raising five over-achieving daughters. She has a master’s degree in Journalism from UC Berkeley, and experience as a news anchor (in her 20′s). I am encouraging her to be “greedy” for once in her life. I think she will love this article – I hope it will encourage her to move on with her own life now that she is “allowed.” Thanks for sharing, and for keeping it real, my friend!
xo,
Laurie

winnie kingsbury January 7, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I love your blogs but believe me, this one fits and also applies to most women I know. I feel the same about the new year and hope this year to relax on the couch reading favorite book eating fudge. I’m even going to hang out at the pool more in a swim suit! Love you, keep those words coming!

Khareen January 8, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the great post. I don’t think this is my year for getting in the boat, but it’s a nice thought and I’m happy for you for having reached that point. Go get it!
Khareen recently posted..All I Want in 2012My Profile

Missy | Literal Mom January 9, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Love, love, love this quote:

Thanks for giving me a new one to apply to my life. SO true.
Missy | Literal Mom recently posted..Organizing Your Busy Week in 4 Easy Steps – Come See Me at SITSMy Profile

Kate January 12, 2012 at 3:25 am

Check out my daily blog on the latest celebrity gossip!

Julie January 28, 2012 at 7:30 am

This is my daughter’s blog! Not spam!