What I Miss. Really.

by Julie on March 10, 2012

As my children grow older and move forward with their lives,  I realize I am missing those long ago days when they were toddlers; when life just seemed simpler and every one, including myself, felt better after an afternoon nap.  I have no idea why I have been so melancholy lately.  Maybe it’s the hot flashes. Maybe it’s the shock of another upcoming college tuition bill.  Maybe I’m just tired.  Probably all three. Regardless, those were such happy times and I think about them often, especially as my daughter attends her last semester of high school. Here are some things I miss the most. Really.

My boy once upon a time....

Buying Hot Wheels

I remember the “ooh’s” and “aah’s” my son used to utter when he was allowed to pick out two (TWO!) hot wheels from the display at our local toy store.  What stress it was for him.  Now, he’s beating me consistently on Words for Friends.

Ordering Happy Meals

I miss the days when the drive thru attendant would ask me if I wanted a Happy Meal for girl or a boy. Those cheap, plastic toys entertained my kids for a good 15 minutes, always when I needed it the most.

A Toddler In My Grocery Cart

Oh, for those days when I would lift them up, put them in their seat in the grocery cart and swing by the bakery for their free cookie.  I trained myself to have most of my shopping done by the time they took their last bite and started the twisting and back arch when they wanted out. Today, I’m in the Clearasil aisle.

Santa looks happy

Christmas Morning

Enough said.

Their Joyful Expression When You Picked Them Up From Pre-School

Remember when they would run to you when they saw you enter their classroom after a morning of nursery school?  My kids would always squeal, “There’s my mommy!”  Now, when I enter the room I hear, “Quiet, here’s my mom.”

Holding Their Hand

Can I bring back those days when my children would grab my hand and not let go? And as an added bonus, when I knew the answers to everything?

I often show them this picture to remind them that they once liked each other

Choosing Their Clothing

Yeah, don’t do that anymore.

The Homework Was Easy

In those days, all I had to know were my colors and how to count to ten.

There is a story behind this photo. I still cringe.

They Laughed At My Jokes

At one time my kids thought I was hysterical as I could tell a “Knock Knock” joke like no other.  Now it’s “DON’T EMBARASS ME!”

A Band Aid And A Juice Box Solved Everything

I wish that still worked.

When They Would Crawl Into Your Lap And Fall Asleep

My husband contributed this one.  He’s so right.

When You Danced, They Would Join You

I remember the days when I would put music on before dinner and we would dance around the house.  If I did that now, they would think I was having a stroke.

Yep, she's leaving for college in September

Sleepovers Weren’t In Their Vocabulary

I am so over sleepovers.

Reading Good Night Moon

Well this almost makes me cry. Like a knife in the heart.

My subject of my next blog will be “What I Love About Raising Teenagers,” just  as soon as I think of something.  Actually, it only gets better. Really.

{ 31 comments… read them below or add one }

Mary Jameson March 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm

It doesn’t get any better than this one! You really know how to write…….
Mary J.
Mother of 3

Andi March 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Wiping. Tear. Really.

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thank you Mary! Glad you enjoy!

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Uh…that would be Andi. Geez.

Susan Stege March 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm

I always enjoy your amazing ability to make me both laugh and cry. You are a modern day Erma Bombeck. I look forward to your blog and often find myself belly laughing at my desk…which can be a little embarrassing. Keep it up!

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Ah…thank you! Some people just know how to make a person’s day!

Sandy G. March 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Priceless! We’re so blessed to have those memories with our kids! Hope it all filters down to grandkids who will one day hold our hands on the way into the bakery :)

Thanks for the reminder of sweet days!
Sandy

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thank you Sandy. I can’t even think of the grandparenting thing. ;)

winnie kingsbury March 10, 2012 at 8:28 pm

wow!

Leslie Harris March 10, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I just stumbled on your blog and I have to share how touched I was by your sweet and random memories of your children. I have two boys, 19 and 17 and I totally relate to those tender, sentimental feelings. Boy, it’s those little things that you remember when it’s all over.
Congratulation on your free lance work it sounds wonderful.
I admire your ability to handle it all. In fact, I just wrote a post today about my own struggles to juggle it all!

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Leslie, thank you! I love your blog and commented on it as well. You hit the nail on the head!

Michelle March 10, 2012 at 11:30 pm

First, I LOVE the picture of your daughter with her green glasses – that’s precious.
Secondly, my daughters are 9 and soon-to-be 12. My youngest will still hold my hand just because. My older daugher will only because I’ve turned it into a little joke. I tell her that she needs to hold my hand because I’m getting older and I might get lost now. She’ll laugh and take my hand. I’m sure this will pass soon as she will start middle school. But the story behind it will live on forever.

Michelle

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Thank you Michelle! Your kids are at a fun age! My 18 year old will still hold my hand only if I promise her a Starbucks. Times change!

Michelle March 13, 2012 at 5:59 am

So I’ll just have to up the ante as she gets older and won’t play along with the “I might get lost”! Good to know.

Sarah March 11, 2012 at 4:47 am

Love your blog!!! It always makes me laugh, and is always spot-on with a parenting or family issue that I can relate to. Thanks for helping keep it all in perspective:)

Pamela March 11, 2012 at 5:35 am

Oh this brought tears to my eyes (I’ve been exceptionally emotional for some reason lately). My daughter is almost 2 and she is growing so fast I try so hard to savor every moment but it’s like with everyday she grows into a whole new person!

I would love to invite you to link up this and some other posts at my “Get Inspired” blog party that is open right now.

-Pamela
Pamela recently posted.."Get Inspired" Monday Blog Party & FeaturesMy Profile

Julie March 11, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Thank you Pamela! I will be checking out your blog today!

Missy | The Literal Mom March 12, 2012 at 1:35 am

Ohhhhh, this made me sad! My oldest’s birthday is today (10) and she’s changing so much – I am going to miss those days too. Even though they can seem endless sometimes. I know I’ll ache for them later.
Missy | The Literal Mom recently posted..How to Earn Your Own iPad – Get a Fairy HobmotherMy Profile

Kim March 12, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Popping in from MBC today! We went through a HUGE matchbox/hot wheels phase with my son. I already miss that a bit–it was a great motivator for him! I also so miss picking out their clothes! Lordy what they are wearing these days….
Kim recently posted..A Repeat CelebrationMy Profile

Julie March 13, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Thank you Kim! I still have the box of marbles my daughter used to play with. Will never, ever give those up even as I’m busy spring cleaning the house this week!

Kay Ellen March 12, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Love this post! I shared on my Kay Ellen page…
Where did the time go with our precious children? Tears and Laughter

xo
K
Kay Ellen recently posted..Saved From The TrashMy Profile

Paula March 12, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Oh my goodness! If I was a writer I would have written the same words! I have 2 boys…23…graduated from college heading to grad school..and a 19 yr. Old….sophomore in college. The picture where you show them they they did once like each other….I have said those exact words! Many times I cry looking at photos of my boys when they were little! I miss those times! Thank you tor sharing!

Rebecca March 13, 2012 at 12:04 am

I am so happy Kay Ellen shared this with us…I love this post. My husband and I just had this same conversation yesterday and while we love the teenage years sometimes it would be nice to share some of those special moments again.
Can’t wait to read your next post.
Rebecca

Julie March 13, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hi Rebecca! Thank you so much for stopping by! I’m going to check out your site!

Julie

Michelle G. March 13, 2012 at 4:34 am

Sometimes in the madness of the toddler years, we need the reminder that we only get these precious times once. Thanks for the reminder. And for making me cry! As much as my 4 and 18 month old boys may (at times) wear me out or make me crazy, I just wish they could stay this way a little longer… It breaks my heart to imagine the days they won’t want to snuggle with mom anymore…
Michelle G. recently posted..A great place for beauty and Anti-AgingMy Profile

Julie March 13, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thank you Michelle. It really, truly goes by so quickly. I really can remember those years so vividly and it seems like yesterday. Sigh.

Teri T March 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Oh gosh, you’ve hit home again! Many times I find myself wandering the toy aisle reminiscing, and longing for those simpler days! Wishing that new Buzz Lightyear action figure would bring a smile to my hs senior’s face! I look at other.moms with little ones and think how fast childhood passes by! And here
it comes…*tear*!

Julie March 14, 2012 at 4:26 pm

Thank you Terri! Did you see the Buzz Lightyear behind my son where he is sticking out his tongue? I remember when he wouldn’t leave the house without it.

Carrie March 14, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I love this. LOVE it.

Not having kids…I see my sister go through lots of this with my nieces. Well, ok. I go through it with them, too.

They’re 11 & 12.

And it wasn’t long ago, Aunt Carrie was the epitome of cool. I’m talking first rate stuff.

Now? I hear, “Aunt Carrie…do NOT do that in front of my friends!” or “Oh, my God, Aunt Carrie please stop. You’re totally embarrassing me.”

I do hope (ok…pray) my ‘coolness’ comes back some day. Goodness knows when though. Might be years at this rate.

This is a great post!
Carrie recently posted..Being accepted just the way I am isn’t so SCARY after all…My Profile

Swistle March 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

I clicked through to this from the BlogHer list in the margin, and now I have to go see if you did the teenager-love post: I need help spinning things that way these days.
Swistle recently posted..Missing Cat StressMy Profile

Susan March 30, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I needed to read this today. I have a 2 year old and a six month old and it’s easy to lose perspective when life gets crazy. I will miss this time when it’s over! Looking forward to reading more.
Susan recently posted..Susan vs SalmonMy Profile